21 November 2013

Night Shooting: Parking Garage


Went shooting at night with Shadoe and Allison. It was very thirty below. Went first to the parking garage downtown. We had to sneak in behind a car. On the top floor I found this fake owl hung from the ceiling to scare away small birds. I liked how it looked with the snow on its shoulders and East Fairbanks behind it:

















f/1.8
1/60 sec
50 mm lens (~75mm equivalent)
ISO 1600

I shot this handheld, with the camera up above my head, and the focus and exposure turned out great. Not bad for a plastic $200 lens. The colors came out a little garish, which surprised me for a night shot, but I desaturated a little to make the scene look a little colder.

Went down one floor and looked south and saw people in their apartments in the Northward building. It was a cold and depressing scene (everything looks depressing to me when it's 30 below):


























f/1.8
1/60 sec
50 mm lens (~75mm equivalent)
ISO 1600

I white balanced this and cropped it very slightly to make it straighter. I'm very happy with the original shot on this one. Two weeks later a woman jumped from this building but was caught and saved by firemen. Again, handheld. Very pleased with this lens at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment