22 November 2013

Event: GI Thanksgiving Potluck




Shot the Geophysical Institute Thanksgiving potluck for the event/photojournalism assignment. I had grander plans, but a series of disasters kept me from getting to other events. This shoot was challenging because the sun was very strong and the entire venue has floor-to-ceiling south-facing windows. Harsh, orange light, with huge differences from one part of the room to another. Still, I think I got some almost campy shots that get across my dislike for Thanksgiving:




f/8
1/125 sec
31 mm (~47 mm equivalent)
ISO 800



















f/4.5
1/125 sec
31 mm (~47 mm equivalent)
ISO 800

I didn't have to edit this one very much. They were well back from the windows, so the light and color came out well. I like how their bending towards each other almost intimately but completely absorbed in their carving.





f/9.5
1/125 sec
31 mm (~47 mm equivalent)
ISO 800

I like this moment. The turkey hats makes it sadder. The light was brutal, though, and I seem to have gone overboard on the noise reduction (it shows especially in the plasticky look to Susie's skin). A cloudy day would have been so much better for this.





jklh

No comments:

Post a Comment