19 October 2013

Frank's Church

Went back to Frank's Church on Ester Dome to try to shoot the graffiti. It was painted with broad passes so it looks out-of-focus even to the eye. I think some would call the designs disturbing, but to me they look playfully weird:


















f/2.4
1/45
ISO 200
31mm lens (~47 equivalent)


















f/3.5
1/20
ISO 200
31mm lens (~47 equivalent)

Nothing great, but I'm glad I have pictures of the place. It's hard to get across the feel of that room. Maybe a fisheye or a super-wide-angle would do it. It's a strange place. On the way back down, because we were supposed to shoot 30 different subjects, I shot some plants (desperate photo student's last resort):


























f/1.8
1/250
ISO 80
31mm lens (~47mm equivalent)


















f/1.8
1/350
ISO 80
31mm lens (~47mm equivalent)


















f/1.8
1/350
ISO 100
31mm lens (~47mm equivalent)

In all of these, I'm lying on the ground with the lens wide open. It was the only way I could think to get unusual perspective on cranberries. Also, there were so many bushes that the scene was so twiggy that throwing everything out of focus was the only way to even have a clear subject. It was late afternoon on a clear day, so the sun was low and shining directly through the cranberries. Got some shots like the top one where they seemed to be glowing, but none that I liked. On the bottom, I'm holding two bunches of cranberries in the foreground to make those two smudges. Didn't get anything good like that, either, but I bet that will come in handy someday. The middle one is the best one. The red is more subtle, and I love the shading of the blurred background. Twigs along the bottom are too busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment